The SWEEP Municipal Standard
The SWEEP Municipal Standard evaluates the environmental, economic and social aspects of delivering municipal solid waste activities. The standard will be achievable by municipal governments of all sizes and covers a range of activities, whether contracted out to waste industry companies, or provided by municipal employees.
The SWEEP Municipal Standard complements the SWEEP Industry Standard.
It has 6 Performance Categories:
1. Sustainable Materials Management Policies
2. Waste Generation & Prevention
3. Solid Waste Collection
4. Post Collection Recovery
5. Post Collection Disposal
Each Performance Category has 4 Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
1. Efficiency & Effectiveness
2. Environmental Performance
3. Economic Performance
4. Public Participation & Education/Social Impact/Working Conditions
The Public Comment Draft of the SWEEP Municipal Standard is available for review and comment through March, 2019.