To promote highest and best use of materials.
Contract with a SWEEP Certified waste services provider that addresses the following requirements.
Design and adopt a Comprehensive Sustainable Materials Management policy that covers all of the following elements as applicable to the jurisdiction:
- Procurement rules for environmentally preferred products (EPP) and recycled content products, with emphasis on domestic infrastructure
- Requirements for source separation of materials
- Environmental and energy performance standards for collection vehicles
- Establish a public and municipal employee education and information program
- Require best available management practices for landfill operations (methane recovery, leachate treatment, odor and vector control, safety)
- Require best available management practices for incineration operations (minimum: meet state emissions standards; better: best available particulate and criteria air pollution control)